Public Works

The Public Works Department is responsible for maintaining and improving all city streets, alleys, and community property.

We have a service called Mobile 311 that allows residents to submit problems, or concerns directly to our Public Works Department. Link is off site. Mobile311

Do you have extra cardboard? We now have a dumpster that residents of Grimes can use to dispose of cardboard. It is located at the City Maintenance Shop, 1700 SE Destination Drive. Please note that this dumpster is for cardboard only. To prevent overflowing of the dumpsters, please break down boxes. Dumpsters are emptied twice a week. 

Mid American Energy owns most of the street lights in Grimes. A streetlight that is on during the day or repeatedly cycles on and off needs attention just the same as a light that is completely out. To report a streetlight problem online please use this link to Mid American Energy's streetlight repair request form.  ( This will open in a new window )

MidAmerican Energy Power Outage Update  (PDF)

Snow and Ice Control Information

2018 Snow and Ice Control Policy (PDF)
Priority Routes  (PDF)
Park and Trail Routes  (PDF)

Concerns with winter operations? Email:

Public Works
1700 SE Destination Drive
Grimes, IA 50111

Phone | 515.986.9636

Weston Wunder
Public Works Director
Email |

Tammy Johnson
Office Manager
Email |
  Jeremy Thayer
Field Operations Manager

Email |