Did you know that even if you live far from a river or stream, runoff from your lawn can enter these bodies of water? Here are some tips on how to safely care for your yard while protecting the people and animals who use this water.
- Never dump excess chemicals down the storm drain or your sink
- Make sure to read the label and carefully follow directions for all fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides
- Avoid applying pesticides and fertilizers before storms
- Never apply fertilizers or pesticides near bodies of water including wells unless indicated in the instructions
- Leave your grass clippings on your lawn to provide more organic matter, which reduces the need for chemical fertilizers
- Learn how to properly dispose of these chemicals safely here