The City of Grimes is a Central Iowa suburb located northwest of the state’s capital city Des Moines. Grimes is admired for its small town atmosphere with access to metropolitan amenities. The City offers an excellent school system, quality parks, and recreation facilities, and obtains diverse community offerings. Grimes leadership is dedicated to investing in economic and business projects to maintain quality living with projected community growth.
Grimes, Iowa was founded in 1881 and incorporated in 1894. The City is named after James W. Grimes who was a former senator and the third governor of Iowa.
- Population (United States Census Bureau)
- 15,392 (2020 Census)
- 11,139 (2013 to 2017 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates)
- 8,246 (2010 Census Demographic Profile)
- Median Age - 34.2
- Median Household Income - $92,250
- Educational Attainment: Percent high school graduate or higher - 98.4% (2013 to 2017 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates)
Grimes has experienced population growth and is projected to continue growing. In 2018, the total valuation of new construction was $178,771,046.95.
View current projects.