Spring Cleanup Day: Saturday May 17th
The City of Grimes contracts Waste Connections for solid waste pickup. Garbage billing is included on your monthly water bill and residents should contact the Grimes City Hall to begin service. Garbage pickup is on Mondays.
Waste Connections' New Automated Trash Guidelines (PDF): Waste Connections will be providing new 96 gallon trash carts starting November 12th - 17th.
The City of Grimes participates in the Curb it! Recycle and Roll Program.
- Grimes uses green wheeled carts and the small, handheld 18-gallon bins will no longer be collected.
- Collection is Monday of every other week. The calendar sticker on the lid of the cart will help you remember which week is the collection week.
- Keep 3 feet between your recycling cart and your garbage cart and yard bags so that the truck arm has enough room to grab and dump the carts.
- The recycling sticker on the cart lists what can be recycled, or go to www.mwatoday.com for a more complete listing.
- If your pick up is missed, or if you don't have a cart, please call 24-GREEN (244-7336).
The first day for Compost-it! yard waste pickup is Monday March 31, 2014.
The City of Grimes also participates in the Compost it! program for yard waste disposal. Bags and stickers can be purchased at City Hall. Compost It! pickup is always on Monday unless it's a holiday.
The Compost It! program recycles yard waste discarded from single-family and multifamily dwellings. The program is in place from March through November, weather-dependent.
Compost It! recyclable materials include debris such as:
- Grass clippings
- Garden waste
Materials not accepted by Compost It! include:
- Plastic bags
- Plastic flower pots
- Building materials or other non-organic waste
You can recycle your yard waste by:
Placing yard waste into Compost It! bags*,
Placing yard waste into store-brand paper bags (such as Lowe's, Hy-Vee or Yardmaster) and attaching a Compost It! sticker to each bag*,
Or, attaching Compost It! stickers to brush bundles that are too large to fit in the bags. Bundles of brush must be no more than 18 inches in diameter and no more than 4 feet long. Bundles cannot weigh more than 40 pounds. Individual branches in bundles must be no more than 2 inches in diameter. Each bundle of brush needs a Compost It! sticker attached to it.
Compost It! yard waste can then be placed at the curb for pick-up or dropped off at the Metro Park East Landfill with no charge.
Compost It! bags are $1.55 each, or $7.75 for a bundle of five.
Compost It! stickers are $1.20 each.
* 40-pound limit per bag
City Hall: 515.986.3036
Waste Connections: 515.265.7374
Metro Waste Authority: 515.244.0021
Waste Management: 515.244.7336